Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Staten Island Visit......


My recollections of Staten Island from growing up in New Jersey only include a zoo so I figured it might be time to actually stop there on my way to Brooklyn.  I had not been encouraged to do so by my cousin, Joe, but the traffic was ridiculous to the Verrazano Bridge.  Since I was just sitting anyway, I decided to check it out.... 
He was basically right, but the area called Snug Harbor which currently houses lots of arts buildings (classes in music and arts, museum, performance space) is in what was formerly a retirement area for seamen.  Saved by preservationists, it has some lovely locations.  The art museum is only open Thursdays through Sundays so I was out of luck there.... the history museum is under construction.... and the Scholar Garden was closed on Tuesday...... The good news is, by the time I finished wandering through the greenhouse and grounds the traffic was MUCH improved!  

















No comments:

Post a Comment